ARC Review: RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL by Dahlia Adler

by - 1:23 AM

Title: Right of First Refusal
Series: Radleigh University #2
Author: Dahlia Adler
Publisher: Smashwords Edition
Pages: 340 pages
Publishing: March 15th, 2016
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo
Rating:



Goodreads synopsis: 
On the lacrosse field, Cait Johannssen gets what she wants. Off the field is another story. Because what she wants is the school's hot new basketball student-coach, Lawrence Mason, who also happens to be the guy who broke her heart in sports camp two years earlier.

But it's Cait's new roommate who's got him.

Cait and Mase agree it's best to keep their past a secret, but she doesn't expect him to completely ignore their history...or how much it'll hurt when he does. So when a friend on the basketball team asks her to pose as his girlfriend for a night, Cait can't turn down the opportunity for distraction. (Okay, and a little spite.) But what starts as an evening of fun turns into a fake relationship with more lies than the usually drama-free Cait can handle, and it's only keeping her from the one truth that's nagged at her for years: Why did Mase cut her out of his life to begin with?

And is it really too late to get him back?
In Right and First Refusal, Adler has all the right elements to make a book good for me; sports, fake dating, second chance romance, diversity. I don't know how to tell you how much fun I had while reading this book. I've been waiting a long time for the books of the rest of the trio of friends this series has: Lizzie, Cait and Frankie. This is Cait's book and as always, this story starts with a bang!
"The stream of profanity that rings through my dorm room is made a thousand times funnier by the fact that it's French. Inexplicably so, since my Filipina-American former roommate is the one yelping it. It's hard to run and help her when all I wanna do is laugh, but, it is my stuff I'm pretty sure she just dropped on her foot, so."
 I say this a lot of times but I really really adored Dahlia Adler's books. They are just so... REAL. And it hits you right in the chest where it hurts the most and you think Wow, she got it so right. And I thought about this book just the same. First loves, second chances, the love of a sport, college classes and projects, crazy parties with friends, fun times with your best friends, and those conversations in the dark that you just don't want to forget.

Following my love at first sight with this book when I read that first paragraph, I fell more in love when I met Lawrence Mason. More like Mase, nicknamed by Cait. He is the boyfriend of Cait's new roommate, but what we find out is that he happens to be Cait's ex-boyfriend and their love was the kind that you feel deeply and just so perfect at the time. Mase was there for her throughout everything and then suddenly, he stopped. He stopped sending emails, calls, everything.

Mase made me smile so damn hard. It was so clear those two still had something going on and I'm surprised some people didn't catch up to this fact. They stares at each other, were awkward whenever they met accidentaly, really really want to kiss each other's faces. And that was the magical part for me: because two people who probably didn't know much about their older selves still felt the same as their younger selves. It didn't matter there were many obstacles, those two would always be there for each other.

Girl friendship is such a huge part in Adler's books as well. I'm happy she always writes friendships that are just too hard to break. Lizzie, Cait and Frankie are definitely one of my fave trios in literature. They are great together and support one another and laugh until they fall on the floor.

ps. It was great to see the last couple appear again!!!! They're as cute as ever and I die every time someone says something about them to be honest, I'm such a goner and very very weak whenever it comes to them LOL





I'm an Associate Editor of mathematics by day, a Copy Editor by night, and I do a whole lot of writing at every spare moment in between. I've also been a Production Intern and Editorial Assistant at Simon & Schuster, a Publicity Intern at HarperCollins, and a Fashion Intern at Maxim. (I'm kind of into that whole publishing thing.)

I'm the author of the YA novels Behind the Scenes, Under the Lights, and Just Visiting, and the NA novels Last Will and Testament, Right of First Refusal (March 15, 2016), and Out on Good Behavior (Spring 2016). For information on those books and where you can buy them, check out My Books!

I live in New York City with my husband and our overstuffed bookshelves, and you can find me on Twitter at @MissDahlELama and blogging at B&N Teens, The Daily Dahlia, and YA Misfits. Come say hi!


You May Also Like

0 comments